Start your story
Start your Story
in Creative Industries
Start your Story took place in November 2017 at the iconic BFI Southbank, London.
We gathered some of the industry's leading experts to share their knowledge and experience of working in the creative industries.
Find their top tips and photos from the day below.
Student Choice and Higher Education Lead, The Student Room
- Hannah works closely with the government, universities and employers to ensure students are aware of their options
- Her advice has been published in The Independent, The Guardian, The Telegraph and Times Higher Education
Follow your goose bumps – it works. You know when you’re in the right place at the right time. Whether it’s choosing a university or a course, follow your instincts.
Dr Carlton Reeve
Head of School for Media, Design and Technology, University of Bradford
- Carlton is a BAFTA-nominated TV, web and games producer. He has formerly worked for the BBC and is a graduate of the University of Bradford
- He leads Play with Learning, a creative media service which helps organisations engage with their audiences.
Each one of you has your own story to tell, so tell it. I see so many students mimicking their favourite work but it’s not what I want to see; I want unique, don’t be afraid of being unique.
Executive Producer and Film Financier
- Lisa founded Footprint Investments LLP in 2005. The company's investments included the BAFTA and Golden Globe nominated We Need to Talk About Kevin
- She has worked as a consultant and advisor for a number of media businesses, including the role of Senior Executive on a 30-episode drama, due for release in 2018/19
Use your contacts. Build up a network of people you can go to, and be in their face if you need to be.
Film and Television score composer
- Benson has written music for the likes of Universal Pictures, Paramount Pictures, the Walt Disney Company and Dreamworks SKG
- His work has featured in films and television shows including Netflix's Orange is the New Black, How to Get Away With Murder and The Big Bang Theory
Be good. You meet lots of people that can’t do it, so be yourself and be really good at what you do. Don’t just convince yourself of it, everyone’s seen the X Factor.
Actor and Producer
- Enzo is an award-winning actor and producer, with 20 years experience in cinema and television
- He is known for his roles in Game of Thrones, High-rise, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Last Tycoon, Wolf Hall and Bridget Jones' Baby.
Don’t look at any opportunity as having a success or failure outcome – it’s just about the opportunity and what you can get out of it. Your focus should be on your work.
Visual Effects Artist and Photographer
- Iki has over 25 years experience in the video games industry. He has worked with the likes of Psygnosis, Sony London Studio, Guerrilla Games and Naughty Dog Studios
- He recently started a new company called Beyond-FX, who are working on visual effects with Sony Santa Monica and Riot Games
Don’t be afraid of failure. Understand what makes your work good and take criticism. Don’t just show your mum because she’ll say its amazing, show someone who knows what they’re doing.