In 1882 when we began as Bradford Technical College, Bradford was the textile capital of the world - its renowned products reaching the four corners of the globe. Today, our world-class teaching reaches out to those same four corners, bringing students from 150 nations together in one place of learning excellence.
Innovative from the start, the University's forebear, The Mechanics Institute, was founded in 1832 in response to the need in the city for workers with cutting-edge skills relevant to the workplace. In 1957 Bradford Institute of Technology was established to take over the higher education role of Bradford Technical College.
This heritage of making knowledge work has continued to the present day as we continue to respond to the needs of employers.
In 1966, Bradford Institute of Technology was granted a Royal Charter to become the University of Bradford - the 40th university to be created in Britain.
British Prime Minister Harold Wilson became our first Chancellor and the University began to grow steadily, increasing student numbers and the range of courses on offer.
Bradford is now a more popular choice than ever for students who want to give their career the best possible start. The student population leapt from 2,000 in 1966 to more than 17,000 today - including 4,000 students studying around the globe.
We have always been pioneering in our course provision - the first British university to offer a Peace Studies degree, the first to set up a modern business school and the first British university outside London to offer part-time degree courses.